Haverfordwest

There is a Welsh hat, made or sold by Greenish and Dawkins, Commerce House, Haverfordwest in  the National History Museum, Wales (St Fagans), (catalogue number 31.368/2; /3). It was collected from Penybont, near Haverfordwest in 1865 by the Rev Charles Gresley and the Rev George Madan (1807-1891). It was added to the collection of Harry Geoffrey Beasley (1881–1939), which was displayed in the Cranmore Ethnographical Museum, Chisselhurst, Kent, from 1928 to about 1939. A G Madan (presumably a relative of one of the collectors) was the museum’s curator and Beasley’s private secretary, 1928- 1934. The collections was dispersed in 1944 ( H.J. Braunholtz and A. Digby, ‘The Beasley Collection’, British Museum Quarterly (1952) XV, 103-5.)

This appears to be a very early example of collecting ethnographical items from the British Isles, but the hat did not stay in the collection for long: it was transferred to St Fagans in 1931. The box which came with it no longer exists.

 

 

 

Advertisements